Custom Search

Monday, September 1, 2008

The Wonders of Life

It's one of those deeper thoughts of intellect that we often tap into as human beings but we have great difficulty grasping completely. A number of people would blame it on the notion that "everything happens for a reason." You encounter certain people, deal with certain circumstances, and have certain failures for God-given reasons that may be out of our human control. Others believe more in the idea of free will, in which every move an individual makes is interrelated to how their life situations turn out. In otherwords, we control our destinies. Whatever you believe, the idea of "what-ifs" and "going left instead of right" always has, and probably always will fascinate me. When I take a prime example in my life, my best friend and college roommate Rachael, I always can't help but wonder about the "what-ifs" that involves itself in our relationship, or if the "what-ifs" scenario is inferior to a greater being determining our fate.

For four years while at college, Rachael and I always pondered this idea. It all started with being freshmen roommates. Upon entering JMU as a freshman, one must fill out a survey, although not too detailed, that summarizes their lifestyle. Whether you are clean, messy, or somewhere in between. Whether you are a smoker, a non-smoker, or even a non-smoker who doesn't mind being around smoke. Whether you study in complete quiet, study with noise, or can be content with a medium between the two. We especially liked to juggle the "what-ifs" with this simple survey that took us a painless twenty minutes to complete and submit to JMU to be placed with a roommate, and potential life-long friend. "What if that day when I filled out the survey I was feeling somewhat unorganized and I reflected that onto my answer," I asked Rachael. "That one different answer could have meant we would have never been roommates, and if you think about it there's a possibility we could have never met." Rachael said. "What! Why do you believe we could have never met? That's awful to think about," I quickly and anxiously replied. Then it hit me. We had different majors - I started out in marketing and she started out (and continued) with chemistry. Even when we went to join clubs later on that year we realized that we wanted to pursue different organizations. We shared dorm friends, but besides that, our good friendships developed mostly with those inside of our classes and clubs.

Four years later, and continuous best friends throughout it all, we still ask ourselves the same questions. Just what if? Or instead, was this destined to happen since it was out of our control? We may never know... and that uncertain facet of life intrigues me.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites