Custom Search

Sunday, January 11, 2009

2009 - The Time is NOW

Happy New Year!

Welcome back to Make The World Smile after an extended time off from authoring any blog posts. Unfortunately, I have failed to manage my time properly between working at my 9-5 and committing myself to my passion for writing. This reminded me how easy it is to lose sight of our dreams and ultimately brought me to write this post tonight.

Right before the holidays, I stopped by my local Starbucks with my family to enjoy a warm chai latte on a frigid December night. While searching through the variety of coffee beans for sale on the shelves and the holiday gift packages, I found a few light books that aroused my interest. Never quick to judge any book by its cover, I flipped through several pages when the words swiftly grabbed me by the arm and screamed for me to make a transformation in my life. Ten dollars later, I took the book home and began to realize that I wasn't living the life I yearned for. Every page, every sentence, and every word encouraged me. The compilation of motivational quotes delivered an animated necessity to take control of my life. It wasn't until I reached halfway through the book when the message was conveyed through a different channel. Fear dove into my body as I quickly ran the calculations through my mind of how many days (based on averages) I had left in this world. The author had presented a convincing, yet frightening argument - what am I going to do with my time left in this world? The calculation goes as follows:

Multiply your age x 365 days. (This will give you your current age in days).
Subtract that number from 27,375 days (That's an average life-span these days).

Perspective is a fascinating thing. Once I viewed my life through this unnerving lense, I realized that there is no day like the present one to make changes. With that being said, I am going to have to step onto the cliche train and discuss what comes along with the start of a new year. The beginning of every year delivers a sense of freshness, the capacity for change, and the thought of finally being resolute with everything you meant to do last year and never did. We all make resolutions to ourselves - to exercise, to eat healthier, to spend more time with family, and even to manage our finances more efficiently. But we also tend to break those resolutions when the promises of the new year vanish, and routine once again mandates our short-lived hopes for finally making the change we've always wanted. Changes do not and usually cannot happen overnight, but it has to start at some point - why not make that NOW? As previously stated, this is far too easy of a cliche to often say and often fail to do. However, if you are reading this and you know in your heart that you are not currently living the life you want, you have the POWER to make the changes in your life TODAY. You are the sole controller of your path, and you are the one who has to take action to initiate changes in your life. You will not be able to attain your dreams unless you concede to the idea that the only thing stopping you from what you want is yourself. Change is in each of us - we just have to make it come alive. Do not let everyday mundane tasks avert you from reaching your best potential. Manage your time and prioritize what's significant to help you and what's insignificant in the process. Surround yourself with individuals who will believe in helping you achieve and do not let negativity from others hinder your ambitions. Put yourself on a path now so that when you do reflect upon your life you can be proud of what you've achieved in this world. Today is the day. And most importantly, see the world and enjoy the small wonders in life while on your journey. Happy New Year - may you learn to live your dreams this year and be happy every year thereafter.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites