Custom Search

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Everyday Heroes


Today is my Grandmother's Birthday and she is turning 83 years old. I know most of you are probably wondering why I may be posting about this - so here it goes. From the first moment I can remember, my Grandma has continuously been an inspiration to me. She fights, she honors, she gives, she devotes, she cares, and she loves. She has worked, raised three children, gone to school, been a devoted wife and mother, and somehow still found time to always be passionate about things she believed in. She doesn't just fight for her...she fights for EVERYONE. If there is such a thing as angels living among us, my Grandma is one of them. I can't even begin to tell you how many times she has written or made phone calls to Senators and Governors over numerous issues that were of concern to her or others around her. One issue in particular was about the preservation of Native American land near her house. She went to the local Indian reservation to speak with the people often and devoted her time for their cause. She knew that they were human beings just like anyone else and deserved a chance. My Grandma has also written countless newspaper articles in order to spread the word, whether it is to honor fallen soldiers, or discuss a corrupt system which she thinks should be changed. She was once President of the Veterans of Foreign Wars organization and has been an active member for several years, helping support the veterans of our country and their families. So on this Birthday, my Grandmother deserves to be honored.

However, today, February 28, 2008, isn't any regular Birthday for her. This time she is faced with something she hasn't experienced since the first time she laid eyes on my Grandfather. She will celebrate her Birthday without the companionship of her dear Husband, and my Grandfather, George W. Brown. My Grandfather was a World War II veteran who was in the Battle of Normandy and Battle of the Bulge - just to name a few. He was even part of a special mission of four men during the War and was the only one to survive the mission. He was also wounded during the War, yet he still managed to help our country maintain its freedom and come home safe. My Grandfather was an unbreakable human being. He returned from the war at a young age and decided to become a Police Officer, which he did for the remainder of his life. He was a man of few words but he was a man of such great character. I think I learned even more about how wonderful of a man he was after his passing then he ever mentioned to me. He was humble but I do know one thing - he was proud of his job, proud of being a soldier, and he loved his country. My Grandmother and him were married following the War and they stood husband and wife for 62 years. Although my Grandfather did struggle with alcohol for several years, my Grandmother's ability to see through his wounded soul from the war kept her strong and by his side through it all. At 6'5", my Grandfather bore resemblance to the strength of an Ox. He was strong, tall, and nothing could stop him. Unfortunately, these unbreakable images I had of him growing up quickly crumbled as I watched him fade away over the past few months. The most painful part about this is knowing that if issues were handled differently in the hospital and in the nursing home, I am certain he would have lived to tell my Grandmother how wonderful of a woman she was on her Birthday today.

My Grandfather was a VETERAN of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. He served his country through times of need in one of the Great Wars and continued on serving by protecting its streets. What did he get in return when he needed help the most? He didn't get the health care he deserved and he paid for it through his suffering. The full detailed account of the horrific events that happened to my Grandfather (while in the hospital and nursing home), will be posted at a later time once they become available from my Grandmother. I can assure you of this though. Within a matter of a couple months, he went from being able to sit, eat full meals, joke, laugh, and talk in November, to merely lay in bed with his eyes full of hopelessness, as he struggled to swallow even a tablespoon of water I fed to him just last month.

I know that in the cycle of life, if the person is elderly it often seems to lessen the importance of issues like this because of the expectation that they are naturally going to pass away. This expectation of the elderly might prove true but it shouldn't make issues like this any less significant. He lived through pain for this country - physically and emotionally - and yet he still died in pain. If health care was more affordable, and if my Grandfather as a Veteran of the USA had received the care he was promised for being in the military, the course of events would have occurred differently, and maybe he wouldn't have had to suffer the way he did. For my Grandmother and Grandfather's sake, please pay attention to issues of health care and its vital importance to human beings. I am well aware that there are politics behind every matter, so do your research. Not only was my Grandfather suffering, but it made my Grandmother emotionally and physically drained as well, as she continued to fight for my Grandfather until his death. And if you have a loved one who is a veteran, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do your research and check for certainty of the health care service they should receive for being a soldier for our country. Because with my Grandfather, all that was promised wasn't given to him, and the little that was offered to him, was either unaffordable or unmanageable for my Grandmother.

One last note. It is extremely simple for each and every one of us to wake up in the morning and quickly jump into our day without much thought. We transition throughout the day in a routinely fashion and before we know it, we are resting in bed again recapping the day's events with our eyelids half open. Tomorrow morning, and the next morning, until it becomes a habit, wake up and before you do anything else, simply THINK. Think of the little steps you can take to tell someone you love them or think of the actions you can pursue to benefit someone going through a struggle. Call someone you love. Write a letter to a soldier. Thank a friend for their guidance.
I thank my fallen soldier, my Grandfather, for the wonderful love, strength, and courage he gave me and this country. I also thank my Grandmother for remaining strong throughout any obstacle she's ever faced and still being a person of such high respect and admiration. Happy Birthday Grandma - you are one person who can truly make the world smile.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites